Friday, September 28, 2007

a few more shots of my first hospital stay




I would stare at that sign and was so comforted by those words "Special Care". I felt like those nurses really cared about me. I would watch my blood pressure as it would squeeze on my arm automatically every 20 minutes. I think it gave me some sense of control to know what my blood pressure was. Amazing how low it would get during the night. I guess it goes down a lot when we sleep.
My brother Marc stayed with me until 3am in the ICU. I tried to give him one of my pillows but he wouldn't take it. I really think the best words I've ever heard where at midnight my first night of dealing with all this. I was in the ER trying to sleep with a washcloth over my eyes to block out all the trauma going on around me. I hear "I'm Marc Stern and I'm here to see my sister". I will never forget that feeling. The ER can be one lonely place, especially at night and especially after learning I had a problem with my brain that day.

6 comments:

Erik said...

Andrea, I was excited to see a post written by you! The ICU can be such a weird place, but good nurses can make all the difference. I am sending you so much love. xoxo, Erik

Jessica said...

Andrea, I have been thinking a lot about you... and have you in my prayers!

simpletruths said...

Glad to hear my ICU "sisters" took such good care of you, and that the every 20 minute BP didn't drive you batty! Holding you, Ashley & your family close in our thoughts and prayers. Haim & Dean

DMc said...

Hello my dear friend -

Oh, Sternie... you'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. The devastation one feels when hearing that someone they truly care about has health concerns is tempered for me in this case simply by knowing that someone with your spirit and heart is emotionally and spiritually equipped to rise up. While I'll be thinking of you often, those thoughts for me will center around my unwavering belief that you're gonna be fine - you carry the glow of someone that's always fine in the big picture, and you've seemed that way since we became friends a decade ago.

I'll keep an eye out for news from you and the blog. In the interim, Andrea, please know that i'm thinking of you (and thinking good stuff).

With love, your friend,
DMc

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

Sternie... if this is a publicity stunt for your short you're a genius.

blessingsblessingsblessings

jehjeh said...

Stern,

50 pounds!

Eddie