Sunday, October 7, 2007

a check in

hello sweet people.
about 2 weeks away from surgery now. i have a mixed feeling of - hurry up already and then - please let's not do surgery.

i have been very busy for the last week or so with many tests. 3 more brain mri's, another eeg, and donating blood for myself. i also may have had another seizure although they aren't positive if it was one. i woke up with numbness again in my left leg and right hand. they brought up my medication, keppra, in case it was. that keppra has me wiped out. some days it is hard to stand up and walk. other days you would never know other than a slight foggy sensation in my head.

so far all of what they are learning from these tests is that nothing has changed (thank G-d), and it is exactly what they thought it was. the most relief i had lately were the results of a functional brain mri. i had to wear goggles and look at words and images for maybe an hour + half in an mri tube. this was not good. i found the goggles to ruin any sense of peace i had in the other mri machines. i guess i need the ability to see out to not feel claustrophobic. it took every bit of determination i had in me to not move and let the panic take over. also the idea of starting over from the beginning motivated me to keep still.

the result from this test means i will not be awake during surgery because my avm is not dangerously close to any part of my thinking brain. that calms me as much as any info possibly could.

i do want to pass on two bits of info that i didn't realize before. one is that it's important to have great health insurance coverage. if it is not a full covered plan then it cannot get better after something happens. i am so grateful that i had good health coverage through an hmo with blue cross. so far i have landed in the best care and it will mostly all be paid for. i was told if i didn't have this coverage i never would be able to upgrade.

the other info i want to share is how my memory was getting worse and my mind was playing a few tricks on me. who would ever know to go to the doctor after having auditory hallucinations? i didn't know. i thought i was stressed or having some psychic experience, or confusing information i would someday comprehend, or that i was just going a little nuts. this is not easy to explain but the quick version is that starting in february (pre baseball season) i started to hear lines from a movie that i've heard too many times. i had it memorized and it would replay in the voices that i was listening to. it was often around baseball. the announcers would start saying these words that i knew from my past but could not identify exactly. i knew what they were about to say and they would then say it. strange beyond words, frightening and i really assumed it was something i would never understand. i knew i was imagining because i'd go back to that baseball game on my tivo and those words were not there. this happened with the same set of lines maybe 8 times in the passed 6 months. i now know that these are most likely seizures. i have not had them since being on this anti seizure medication.
i figure this is good for people to know. i never would of thought of going to the doctor because of this. i assume i felt embarrassed. i don't feel that way now because they stem from this avm and they fit into this puzzle that will now save my life. the blessing for me was that i used my hmo plan and went to the doctor when i did have a question.

good positive thoughts now as we continue to surrender to this unknown life saving process called a craniotomy.
thank you for being with me now,
andrea

8 comments:

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

hi sternie,

I'm back from san fran and finally sitting still for a minute. I'm glad to read all is well in that nothing has gone bad or gotten worse for you. And yes, thank God for you health insurance!!!

Funny, I find MRI's soothing.... I've had a few in the past year, 2 of my shoulder, one of my cervical neck - and something about the clicking and knocking in a tube where I'm lying still had me slip into a meditative state. But then again, I know I'm weird... Maybe I wanted to pass along the idea to you in case you have to do another one -

Great news that you can sleep thru the procedure, 2 weeks will be up before you know it and you can start putting this all behind you.

Much love and light to you Sternie -
Cathy

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

HELLOOOOOO STERNIE...

So, I'm takin' a break from cleaning the house... fun fun fun. I bet you aren't washing dishes this week are ya?? Yay! Here's to lookin; on the bright side. ;)

big hug -
Cathy

Jojo Stein said...

hi sternie,
just wanted to send you a shout-out and tell you that we're thinking about you and praying for you, and if you're up for a visit from an incredibly cute (medicinally so) baby, we would love to bring the little monkey over for a quick one whenever it's good for you.

xo
johanna, david and sadie

Unknown said...

googlpoophey sternie,
keepin a good thougt for you. I'm so glad you ar getting such good care. Sendin you my best.
Lucia

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

hey sternie,

anyway to upload a pic here? i have a cute soggy one of comet that she is demanding I send to her friend that she met swimming a the lake....

xoxoxo loveandlighloveandlightloveandlight
Cathy

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

Helloooooo Sternieeeee,

Was just thinkin' of you, thought I'd stop by.

Hm, I'm craving smores.... (don't worry - not made over sterno...)

xo
Cathy

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

hi sternie,
i bet you're watching the indians vs. red sox right now aren't ya....
sending lots of love and light your way.

xoxo Cathy

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

sterrrrrrniiiiiieeeeee,

happy baseball wtaching sternie, i wathced the red sox slaughter the indians last night, after that grand slam the game was just embarassing for the bad news indians...

well, they get another shot in a few minutes - who you rooting for?
xoxo -
Cathy